Thursday, September 9, 2010

Beerographies

When Lobster and I do something, we like to DO IT. While this blog is pretty much just our own rudimentary commentary we'd like to actually appear to know what we're talking about. In an effort to to do that I picked up some beer-related books for us.



A couple of Sundays ago Lobster and I took a tour of the Brooklyn Brewery. While the tour was the absolute worst brewery tour we've been on, I did find one thing interesting - the origin of the brewery. Our tour guide, a late 20s-ish guy with a moustache who appeared to be at the minimum riding a buzz and at the maximum full-on drunk, gave the sorriest explanation of a brewing process we've heard. In fact, he was so horrible (forgetting facts, stumbling over words) that we walked out halfway through. But before he bored us with the process he mentioned how the brewery started - one of the founders was stationed in the Middle East as a correspondent for The AP and brewing his own beer, and I found that fascinating (Lobster did not.). Since we received a muddled explanation of that story I decided to order the brewery's book, Beer School, by founders Steve Hindy and Tom Potter.

As we've said before, Lobster and I are going to start brewing our own beer soon. Before we bought a kit or any supplies we wanted to gain some basic knowledge of the process. After some lengthy research I settled on How to Brew by John J. Palmer after reading strong reviews of it on the Beer Advocate Forum. After leafing through it this afternoon it appears this book was a strong choice for our first foray into homebrewing.

I bought a third book because it was a bargain price, Ambitious Brew; The Story of American Beer by Maureen Ogle because I enjoy reading historical pieces about products that I like. It's not a top priority for me right now, but I'll get around to it eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment